Easy Ways to Wear Your Hair Up
I am sick of my hair. Seriously, I’m completely over it. I’m trying to grow it out and it’s in that year(s) long annoying stage. I’m not sure what everyone else does during these time periods, but I have decided to confront this situation head on and figure out a way to wear my hair without it annoying me. This leads me to the point of this particular post, Up-dos. When I hear the term “up-do” I think of prom hair, but really an up-do can be used in casual situations, are perfect for work as well as going out with your girlfriends. The good thing about an up-do is that it can help to make your face appear slimmer and most of them are relatively simple if you have the right tools and a little bit of patience. (Just for clarification I consider an up-do any style where the hair is pulled up, including ponytails.)
What you need
- Strong hold hair spray
- Elastic bands
- Bobby pins
- Teasing brush
- Boar Bristle Smoothing brush
- The most important thing when wearing you hair up is to make sure it’s not freshly washed — this is the way to avoid those little wispy hairs we all hate.
- Another important tip for wearing your hair up is to backcomb or tease your hair, do that to your whole head piece-by-piece. It may take 5-10 minutes but it will help your hair hold in place all day/night. This is particularly important for people with fine hair.
- After backcombing it all, hair spray and leave it alone for a few minutes. You may look like Medusa and scare small children but I swear this helps.
- Smooth out the hair on the top and the sides with the smoothing brush and style however you wish.
- Practice the look before you planning on wearing it, then you will know how long the look with take and if you are able to achieve the look on your own.
We always need a little inspiration and lately we have seen a lot of our favorite stars wearing up-dos. We put them into four categories: top-knots, ponytails, bouffants and low buns.
The top knot can easily be achieved with a sock bun. Get step-by-step instructions here.
Ponytails can seem boring, but when done right they can add the perfect look to any outfit. Go here for more ponytail inspiration.
When creating a bouffant, teasing your hair is important. The only way to achieve these sky high hairstyles is with a lot of backcombing and a strong hairspray. I especially like the classic bouffant hairstyles.
This is probably the easiest look to achieve and I recommend adding statement earrings when wearing this hairstyle.
What do you guys think? What do you do during a hair rut?
Tara Wikoff/ CW44 Tampa Bay