It seems as though 2013 has been the summer of skirts. At least for me it has been. I looked back at the last few episodes of “44 On The Town” and realized that it seems as though all I own is skirts (and that I love yellow!). For some reason I’ve just been drawn to skirts lately. Whether it’s a mini, midi or a maxi, I love them all! However each skirt has different rules for how to wear them.
Mini skirts are probably one of the easiest skirts to wear and when I say “mini” I don’t mean tiny.. for purposes of this post, anything a few inches above the knee will be considered a mini-skirt. They range in pattern, colors and material and can be worn at all different types of functions.
- Fit is very important when it comes to any skirt, but especially a mini; you can run the risk of being too revealing.
- If you plan on wearing heels with your mini-skirt, use the “fingertip rule,” meaning when you put your fingers down by your sides the skirt length should be at or below them.
- If you are wearing a mini-skirt and heels, I recommend wearing a loose-fitting blouse or one that covers your shoulders; feature one body part at a time.
- Wear your shorter mini-skirts more causal by pairing them with a tucked in t-shirt and a pair of flats.
See some examples on how to style a mini-skirt below.
Midi-skirts have been my new obsession, I first wrote about them back in April (see that post here). I will admit that I am tall, standing at 5’8, (almost 6 feet tall with heels) so midi-skirts actually look good on me.. at least I think so. I’m only saying this because depending on where the midi-skirt hits on your leg, can change the way the skirt looks on you. Unfortunately midis might not work for everyone, but if they do, here’s what you need to know.
- Make sure that you don’t get a skirt that is too full, meaning too much pleating. This can make you look larger on the bottom than you are.
- Belts are a great addition to midis and can really help define your waist.
- It’s important to wear sky-high heels with a midi, this makes your legs look like they go on for days.
- My last tip for wearing a midi-skirt is to make sure that you wear a well-fitting shirt, I like to wear sleeveless. (See first picture below.)
A great place to find good midi-skirts is at thrift stores. They have a ton of them and they’re super affordable!
Maxi-skirts are a lazy girls best friend. Throw on a hat, tank top and a cute pair of sandals are you’ve got a great summer look. We’ve written about maxis here, here and here. Obviously we enjoy them here at CW44.com (does this mean we’re lazy?).
- Maxi skirts can be worn all types of ways, whether you want to dress them up or down.
- I recommend wearing a well-fitting top or a sleeveless shirt when styling your maxi. You want to make sure that you don’t have too much material on.
- Maxi skirts can become very hot if you’re planning to wear it for an outdoor event, so keep that in mind when planning to wear yours.
- Any maxi dress can be turned into maxi skirt simply by tying a shirt up over the top of the dress. This is also a great trick for a strapless dress that never stays up.
What’s your favorite skirt out of the three?
Tara Wikoff/CW44 Tampa Bay