Happy Recess at Work Day!
Work is hard. Every morning, that incessant alarm goes off forcing you out of your cozy sanctuary. That screeching sound means it’s time to head back to work; so off you go. By the end of your work week, you are tired and cranky because deep down you know that the work week cycle will rear its ugly head again soon. The time has come for a break!
Think back to the days of recess. You and your friends would gather in the playground for a moment of pure ecstasy. The grueling school day seemed so far away when you stepped out of the classroom and into the fresh air. How can you get that glorious feeling of innocence and glee back? With Recess at Work Day, of course!
Today (June 19th) is Recess at Work Day. It’s a day set aside for the playful child inside every overworked adult. Believe it or not, there is logic and research behind this wonderful day. Recessatworkday.com explains, “It has been proven that breaks are essential for satisfaction and alertness. Brain processing requires downtime to recycle chemicals crucial for long-term memory loss.” In other words, even adults need some serious playtime!
So how can you celebrate this day of play? Recessatworkday.com offers a few suggestions.
- Exercise as a group
- Take some time and re-write a ridiculous policy or two from the employee handbook/website ;)
- An ice cream social might be just what the team needs
- Play some good old outdoor games like tag, jump rope, or Frisbee. Amazing what a good game of follow the leader might teach you about your coworkers
- Take that team meeting to a coffee shop, amusement park or the beach
- Visit a local park. Play a little, and brainstorm a lot; that next big idea might occur during recess
- Organize a fun communications activity.
- Create a company time capsule
- Do some volunteer/community work
- Take some time today to start learning a foreign language with your co-workers.
I’m sold! This is the best idea I have heard in a long time. Let your inner-child out and enjoy your workday!
For more info about Recess at Work Day, visit their website.
Vanessa Rao | CW44 Tampa Bay